A cage battle between Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg might potentially take place in Italy, with an old Rome theme.
In the newest twist in the saga, Italy’s culture minister stated on Friday that he had spoken with Mr Musk about organizing the showdown as a charity event.
Since June, the wealthy CEOs of Tesla and Meta (previously Facebook) have been provoking one other into a battle.
Millions of dollars are likely to be donated to children’s hospitals if the plan is approved.
However, Mr. Zuckerberg has stated that no date has been set as of yet.
Detailing his vision on social media platform X (previously known as Twitter), Mr Musk said he had spoken to both Italy’s prime minister and its culture minister.
Italy’s Culture Minister Gennaro Sangiuliano said in a statement that the “great charity” event would resonate with the country’s historical significance while also preserving its cultural heritage.
“I had a long and friendly conversation with Elon Musk, we talked about our shared passion for ancient Roman history,” Mr Sangiuliano said in a statement.
“We are thinking about how to organise a great charity and historical evocation event, respecting, and fully protecting the setting… It will not take place in Rome.”
Mr Sangiuliano also said that a “substantial amount, many millions of euros” is expected to be donated to two Italian children’s hospitals as a result of hosting the cage match.
Mark Zuckerberg said on Threads, the platform considered as a direct competitor to X, which he created last month, that he has “been ready to fight since the day Elon challenged me,” and that if a date is ever agreed upon, “you’ll hear it from me.”
“Until then, please assume that anything he says has not been agreed upon.”
Mr Zuckerberg stated, perhaps in response to the proposed plans, that when he competes, he wants to “do it in a way that puts a spotlight on the elite athletes at the top of the game.”
Elon Musk, 52, and Mark Zuckerberg, 39, are two of the most well-known technology millionaires in the world.