Lebanon said on Sunday that it intends to file a complaint with the UN Security Council against Israel’s aggression on Lebanon, following a rocket barrage fired at Israel from southern Lebanon on Thursday.
Lebanon’s caretaker Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdullah Bou Habib, said the complaint is to be presented by the Permanent Representative of Lebanon to the UN, Jean Murad, to both the Secretary-General of the United Nations and the Security Council.
The complaint was decided to be filed at the request of Abdullah and after consultations with caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati.
Lebanon renewed refusals that its territories be exploited as a platform to destabilize stability but also stressed its legitimate right to self-defense.
It also reaffirmed its commitment to keeping the lines of communication open with the United Nations and UNIFIL forces as the best means to solve problems and maintain calm and stability.
On Friday, Israel unleashed rare airstrikes on southern Lebanon and bombarded the Gaza Strip.
The early morning strikes followed a large rocket barrage fired at Israel from southern Lebanon.
The violence erupted after Israeli police raided the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem earlier in the week, sparking unrest in the contested capital and outrage across the Arab world.
Voicing alarm over the latest developments in the region, mainly the escalation on its southern border, Lebanon said the Israeli airstrikes on its territory are a flagrant violation of the sovereignty of Lebanon, endangering the life of people and the safety of the land.
Cautious calm prevails in southern Lebanon after the Israeli response to the missiles. Only material damages were reported in the Lebanese areas hit by the missiles, according to the National News Agency.
The Lebanese army found on Friday a deserted rocket launcher in the Al-Qolayle plains in the south. The launcher, which contained 12 rocket compartments, contained several unlaunched rockets.