The “Washington Post” newspaper reported a looming crisis awaiting Lebanon after trucks loaded with Iranian fuel entered Lebanon via Syria, on Thursday.
This convoy was arranged by the Tehran-backed Hezbollah group to help alleviate the domestic energy crisis afflicting the country in conjunction with a major economic collapse.
The American newspaper considered that this step represents a violation of US sanctions on Iranian oil sales.
“This move appears to violate US sanctions related to the purchase of Iranian oil, but it was not clear what the US position would be on whether it would press the issue,” it said.
“Hezbollah, which the United States considers a terrorist organization, is already subject to US sanctions, and although it is part of the Lebanese government, it appears to operate independently,” it added.
It pointed out that “the US embassy in Beirut refused to comment yesterday, Thursday, on the incident. But when Hezbollah announced last month that the fuel was on its way from Iran, US Ambassador Dorothy Shea said the move could face punitive measures”.
The report stated, “The new Lebanese government, headed by Najib Mikati, has no role or authority over Hezbollah.”
“The country is facing a serious crisis, so the government does not care whether the trucks entered legally or illegally,” Elias Farhat, a retired general in the Lebanese army, was quoted as saying.