Two relief workers told Reuters on Saturday that an air attack in Ethiopia’s northern province of Tigray killed 56 people and injured at least 30 others in a camp for the internally displaced, citing local officials and eyewitness testimonies.
Colonel Getnet Adane, a military spokesperson, and Legesse Tulu, a government spokeswoman, did not immediately reply to demands for comment. In the 14-month fight with separatist Tigrayan troops, the government has previously denied killing civilians.
The number of fatalities was confirmed by local officials, according to both relief workers, who asked not to be identified because they are not authorized to speak to the media.
The aid workers sent Reuters pictures they said they had taken of the wounded in hospital, who included many children.
The strike hit the camp in the town of Dedebit, in the northwest of the region near the border with Eritrea, late on Friday night, the aid workers said.
One of the aid workers, who visited Shire Shul General Hospital where the injured were brought for treatment, said the camp hosts many old women and children.
“They told me the bombs came at midnight. It was completely dark and they couldn’t escape,” the aid worker said.
Ethiopian federal troops went to war with rebellious Tigrayan forces in November 2020.
Before the latest strike, at least 146 people have been killed and 213 injured in air strikes in Tigray since Oct. 18, according to a document prepared by aid agencies and shared with Reuters this week.