A strong earthquake rattled Afghanistan’s western province of Herat on Wednesday, forcing authorities to redeploy relief and rescue teams already in the field following a series of deadly quakes on Saturday.
There were no details on casualties so far, disaster management spokesman Janan Sayeeq told Reuters, but provincial officials said hundreds of homes had been destroyed.
The office of Herat’s governor said some areas had suffered “huge losses”, without giving details.
“Mobile medical teams and officials have been working together and have transferred several injured people to hospital,” the governor’s office said in a statement.
Saturday’s tremors killed at least 2,400 people and injured more than 2,000, the Taliban-run government said, making the quakes one of the deadliest in the world so far this year.
Most of the casualties in that quake were women and children, the World Health Organisation said.