After being hospitalized for an intestinal blockage that has now been cleared, Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will not require surgery, his medical staff stated in a message on Tuesday.
Bolsonaro’s newest difficulty following a stabbing in 2018 was the obstruction.
Bolsonaro has shown “good” clinical progress, according to the statement, and will begin a liquid diet on Tuesday. Following his stay, doctors placed a nasogastric tube in his stomach.
The Vila Nova Star hospital in Sao Paulo, where the far-right leader was brought in the early hours of Monday with stomach pain, said there was no timetable for his release.
The decision not to operate on Bolsonaro came after he was re-evaluated by his doctor, Antonio Macedo, who was vacationing in the Bahamas and arrived in Sao Paulo on Tuesday morning.
Bolsonaro has undergone a series of emergency operations since being knifed during a campaign event in September 2018.
The Brazilian president said on Twitter on Monday that he started feeling unwell on Sunday after lunch. He had been vacationing in the southern state of Santa Catarina and was urgently taken to Sao Paulo by plane.
Bolsonaro noted it was his second hospitalization “with the same symptoms” in a few months. In July 2021, he was taken to the Vila Nova Star for an intestinal blockage after suffering chronic hiccups.
Bolsonaro has been in power since 2019 and plans to stand for re-election as president in a vote scheduled for October this year.