A telecommunications ministry official confirmed internet outages in several French cities on Wednesday, while telecom operator Free cited vandalism, confirming media allegations of concerted attacks on France’s internet.
“Internet cables have been cut in the Ile-de-France region, which is affecting the landline and mobile network. We are in touch with operators who are working to restore service,” minister for digital affairs Cedric O said in a tweet.
He did not mention vandalism or sabotage.
Several French media reported major internet outages in big cities like Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, Reims and Grenoble, quoting officials saying that vandalism or sabotage was suspected.
Le Parisien newspaper reported that underground cables had been damaged in France’s Seine-et-Marne and Essone departements, adding that these cables were linking the hubs of Paris and Lyon.
French news agency AFP, quoting the economy ministry, reported that internet services were down or running slowly in several French cities after suspected acts of vandalism targeting fibre optic cables.
The economy ministry was not available for comment
“Several malicious acts were noted on the fibre network during the night and the morning,” Free said in a tweet.