SAWT BEIRUT INTERNATIONAL

| 19 May 2024, Sunday |

Iran court sentences two to death over deadly shrine attack

According to the official news agency IRNA on Saturday, a court in Iran has sentenced two men to death in connection with an attack on a Shi’ite shrine in Iran in October that left 15 people dead and was claimed by the militant group Islamic State.

The two individuals were found guilty of accusations such as “promoting corruption on earth” and acting against national security, according to Fars Province Prosecutor Kazem Mousavi, who also noted that the sentences can be appealed.

CCTV footage broadcast on state TV showed the attacker entering the popular Shah Cheragh shrine in the southern city of Shiraz after hiding an assault rifle in a bag and shooting as worshippers tried to flee and hide in corridors.

The gunman, identified as a citizen of Tajikistan, later died in a hospital from injuries sustained during the attack.

The two men sentenced to death said during the trial that they had been in contact with the Islamic State in neighboring Afghanistan and helped organize the attack, Iranian media reported.

Three other men received jail sentences ranging from five to 25 years in the trial, the prosecutor said.

Islamic State, which once posed a security threat across the Middle East, has claimed previous violence in Iran, including deadly twin attacks in 2017 that targeted parliament and the tomb of the Islamic Republic’s founder, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

    Source:
  • Reuters