SAWT BEIRUT INTERNATIONAL

| 17 April 2024, Wednesday |

Iran state TV identifies man it says was behind blast at Natanz nuclear site

Iran’s state television  identified on Saturday a man it said was behind a recent explosion and power outage at its main Natanz nuclear plant.

State TV reported that”Reza Karimi, the perpetrator of this sabotage… has been identified” by Iran’s intelligence ministry. It noted that the suspect had fled Iran before last Sunday’s explosion that the Islamic Republic has blamed on arch-foe Israel.

The television showed what it said was a photograph of the suspected perpetrator on a red card that had “Interpol Wanted” written on it. The card listed his age as 43.

“Necessary steps are underway for his arrest and return to the country through legal channels,” the report said.

State TV also broadcast footage of rows of what it said were centrifuges which had replaced the ones damaged in the blast at the Natanz uranium enrichment plant.

It added that “a large number” of centrifuges whose enrichment activity was disrupted by the blast had been returned to normal service, the report said.

    Source:
  • Reuters