Despite “provocations” by pro-Russian separatists in recent days, Moldova sees no imminent threat of unrest spilling over from Ukraine’s war, but is preparing for “pessimistic” scenarios, President Maia Sandu said on Wednesday.
Concerns have grown in the last week that Moldova could be drawn into the conflict in neighboring Ukraine, after pro-Russian separatists in a breakaway region reported a number of attacks and explosions that they blamed on Kiev.
When asked if she was concerned about unrest in the coming days, Sandu said through an interpreter on Wednesday, “We see no imminent threat for the near future, but of course we have contingency plans for such scenarios, which are less optimistic or pessimistic.”
Kiev has accused Moscow of attempting to drag Moldova into the conflict. The Kremlin has expressed “concern” about the situation in Moldova’s separatist region, where Russia has stationed hundreds of troops since the Soviet Union’s demise.