The State Department reported on Tuesday that more than 400 American citizens, lawful permanent residents, and other qualified individuals have received assistance from the United States to escape the Gaza Strip; but, it also noted that American citizens were still within the besieged area.
Since Hamas militants in Gaza killed what Israel claims to be 1,400 people on October 7 and took over 240 hostages into Gaza, the Israeli military has been bombarding Gaza.
“We continue to work in partnership with … Egypt and Israel towards safe passage for more US citizens, their immediate family members and US lawful permanent residents,” State Department deputy spokesperson Vedant Patel said.
There were around 400 American citizens and their family members, totaling around 1,000 people, who wanted to get out, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said last week.
“This is an ongoing and fluid situation,” Patel said on Tuesday. The number of U.S. citizens who will be able to leave is expected to increase, he said.
More than 10,000 people, around 40 percent of them children, have been killed in Israel’s bombardment of Gaza, according to health officials there.
At least 320 foreign nationals and dependents passed through the Rafah crossing on Tuesday, the only border crossing not controlled by Israel, along with 100 Egyptians, an Egyptian security source said.