SAWT BEIRUT INTERNATIONAL

| 26 May 2024, Sunday |

North Korea accuses U.N. of double standards over missile tests, warns of consequences

In response to international criticism over its recent missile launches, North Korea stated on Sunday that the United Nations Security Council adopted double standards when it came to military operations among UN member nations, according to official media KCNA.

On Friday, the Council convened behind closed doors in response to demands from the US and other countries about North Korea’s missile tests.

Pyongyang fired a newly developed anti-aircraft missile the day before the summit, the latest in a string of weapons tests that included the launching of a previously unknown hypersonic missile, ballistic missiles, and a cruise missile with nuclear capability.

Jo Chol Su, director of the North Korean foreign ministry’s Department of International Organizations, said the Security Council meeting means an “open ignorance of and wanton encroachment” on its sovereignty and “serious intolerable provocation.”

Jo accused the Council of double standards as it remains silent about U.S. joint military exercises and weapons tests with allies, while taking issue with the North’s “self-defensive” activities.

“This is a rejection of impartiality, objectivity, and balance, which are the lifeblood of UN activities, as well as an obvious indication of double-dealing,” Jo said in a statement released by the official KCNA news agency.

If the council continues to breach the North’s sovereignty “with the double-dealing stick” and depend on “the U.S.-style brigandish manner of thinking and judgment,” Jo warned, the council might suffer repercussions.

Pyongyang has claimed in recent weeks that its weapons tests are intended at improving its military capabilities in the same way that other nations do, accusing Washington and Seoul of “double standards” and “hostile policy” against Pyongyang.

The tests highlighted how the secretive state has been steadily building more sophisticated weapons, boosting the stakes for stalled talks intended at eliminating its nuclear and missile programs in exchange for sanctions relief from the United States.

The US has slammed the launches, calling them “destabilizing” and presenting regional risks, while insisting that it has no aggressive intentions toward North Korea and urged it to accept proposals to continue talks.

On Friday, White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki stated that Washington is still willing to address a “whole range of problems.”

“We’ve made specific offers for talks with North Korea, but we haven’t gotten a response yet,” she told reporters.

    Source:
  • Reuters