| 2 October 2022, Sunday |

Prince Philip transferred to St Bart’s for further tests and treatment

Prince Philip has been moved to a different hospital where he will continue to be treated for an infection and undergo further tests. The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was admitted to a London hospital just under two weeks ago as a “precautionary measure” after feeling unwell.

A Buckingham Palace statement said: “The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.

“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”

Prince Philip was shielded from public view as he left the hospital on Monday morning.

Umbrellas were held up as he made his way into a waiting ambulance, at the rear of the hospital, to be taken to St Bart’s, where uniformed officers from the City of London police were positioned. The duke’s condition is not related to coronavirus.

St Bart’s is described on its website as an “internationally-renowned” hospital which is a “center of excellence for both cardiac and cancer care”. It adds that Barts Heart Centre is Europe’s largest specialized cardiovascular service.

Last week, Prince Edward told Sky News his father was doing “a lot better” and that the family were keeping their “fingers crossed”. The prince said he was “looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing”.

Asked if the duke was frustrated, Prince Edward added: “Just a bit! I think that gets to all of us, and then, you can only watch the clock so many times and the walls are only so interesting.” His father has received “some brilliant and lovely messages” from the public which have been passed on to him, Prince Edward said.

The duke was driven to the central London hospital on 16 February, with a royal source saying he walked in unaided. Prince Charles was pictured in a face mask going to visit a few days later and stayed for about half an hour.

Philip has suffered a number of ailments in recent years. In 2011 he had a stent to treat a blocked coronary artery, a year later he was treated for a bladder infection – which forced him to miss the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations. And in 2013 he had exploratory surgery on his abdomen. The last time he was in hospital was December 2019, when he spent four nights being treated for a “pre-existing condition”.

Philip – who turns 100 in June – retired in 2017 after decades of public duties and thousands of engagements. He now rarely appears in public and was last seen in July 2020 when he transferred his role as colonel-in-chief of The Rifles to the Duchess of Cornwall. He has been staying with the Queen at Windsor Castle since coronavirus restrictions were first introduced last year.

Earlier this month, the palace confirmed they had both received their first dose of a vaccine.

  • Sky News Arabia