As she carried out her first in-person engagement since her son Prince Charles tested positive with COVID-19 on Wednesday, Queen Elizabeth joked to members of the royal staff that she couldn’t move much.
Charles, 73, the heir to the throne, this week withdrew out of an event after getting coronavirus for a second time. The 95-year-old queen was not showing any symptoms, according to a royal source, but the situation was being closely observed.
The queen was photographed holding virtual audiences with new ambassadors from Estonia and Spain via videolink on Tuesday, while the palace said on Wednesday that she had received both the outgoing and incoming Defence Secretaries at Windsor Castle.
According to a video of the meeting, the queen, who was supported by a stick, chuckled as the two secretaries entered her room.
“Well, as you can see, I can’t move,” the queen said when asked how she was doing. She shuffled forward slightly and greeted the duo with a handshake after making a gesture at her feet.
Buckingham Palace declined to respond.
According to a palace source, the Queen had been feeling slightly stiff rather than hurt or ill.
The queen’s health has been in the limelight since she spent a night in hospital last October for an unidentified sickness and was subsequently recommended to rest by her doctors.
Last week a palace source said Elizabeth, who this month celebrated the 70th anniversary of her accession to the British throne, would be returning to normal duties.