SAWT BEIRUT INTERNATIONAL

| 18 October 2021, Monday |

Rwanda court to rule on case of Rusesabagina, hero of ‘Hotel Rwanda’

A Rwandan court is set to rule on Monday in the case of Paul Rusesabagina, a former hotel manager who was hailed as a hero in a Hollywood film about the 1994 genocide before being accused by Rwandan authorities of masterminding terrorism from exile.

Rusesabagina, 67, disputes the charges and claims that he was kidnapped from Dubai earlier this year to stand trial. The trial, according to his supporters, is a hoax and evidence of President Paul Kagame’s harsh treatment of political opponents. He is said to be in ill health by his relatives.

Prosecutors have sought a life sentence on nine charges, including terrorism, arson, taking hostages and forming an armed rebel group which he directed from exile in the United States.

Rusesabagina became a global celebrity after the 2004 film “Hotel Rwanda” depicted him risking his life to shelter hundreds as the boss of a luxury hotel in the Rwandan capital Kigali, during the 100-day genocide when Hutu ethnic extremists killed more than 800,000 people, mostly from the Tutsi minority.

Actor Don Cheadle was nominated for an Oscar for the role. Rusesabagina used his fame to highlight what he described as rights violations by the government of Kagame, a Tutsi rebel commander who took power after his forces captured Kigali and halted the genocide.

Rusesabagina’s trial began in February, six months after he was arrested on arrival in Kigali on a flight from Dubai. His supporters say he was kidnapped; the Rwandan government suggested he was tricked into boarding a private plane. Human Rights Watch said at the time that his arrest amounted to an enforced disappearance, which it called a serious violation of international law.