Saudi Arabia and Iran said in a joint statement on Thursday that their agreement in Beijing last month would help bring “security and stability” to the Middle East, adding that they would launch arrangements to reopen missions within the two-month period stipulated in the deal.
Riyadh and Tehran agreed to resume diplomatic ties and re-open embassies in a major deal facilitated by China last month.
“The two sides emphasized the importance of following up on the implementation of the Beijing Agreement and its activation in a way that expands mutual trust and the fields of cooperation and helps create security, stability and prosperity in the region,” said a statement issued on Thursday after a meeting between Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah and his Iranian counterpart, Hossein Amirabdollahian, in Beijing.
Saudi Arabia and Iran also said in the joint statement they would launch arrangements to reopen embassies and consulates within the two-month period stipulated in the deal.
“The technical teams will continue coordination to examine ways of expanding cooperation including the resumption of flights and bilateral visits of official and private sector delegations and facilitating the granting of visas for the citizens of the two countries,” they added.
Tehran and Riyadh, according to the joint statement, also underlined the importance of reviving a security pact signed in 2001.