Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani threatened a “destructive” response to Israel if it launched a military strike on Iran. Israel has been waving military options to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons.
Kanaani, according to official Iranian press agencies, said that Israel’s recent threats to strike Iran were only psychological warfare and that Tel Aviv lacked both the guts and the capacity to face Iran militarily.
“Iran’s response to any idiocy committed by the Zionist regime will be destructive,” Kanaani stated.
On Sunday, Israel’s Chief of Staff Aviv Kochavi said that having a military contingency plan against Iran’s nuclear program is a moral obligation.
The US military commander in the Middle East met with Kochavi also on Sunday to discuss the integrated air and missile defense system.
CENTCOM Commander General Michael Kurilla and Kochavi discussed “the importance of an integrated air and missile defense system, as well as the continued need for strong regional security cooperation.”
Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid said on Sunday that his country has “the right to act fully against the Iranian nuclear program, diplomatically and militarily,” stressing that he made his position clear to US President Joe Biden, who visited Israel last week.
Kanaani also said that Biden, during his recent tour to the Middle East, failed to establish an anti-Iran alliance because regional countries do not trust the US.
The foreign ministry spokesman also blamed Washington for prolonging nuclear negotiations, saying that “delaying talks is not in the interest of any party, especially the US.”
Kanaani slammed the US for “not accepting” everything stated in the text of the 2015 nuclear agreement with Iran, expressing Tehran’s desire for “real guarantees” from Washington.