SAWT BEIRUT INTERNATIONAL

| 22 February 2024, Thursday |

Turkey says it plans evacuation of some wounded, sick Gazan children on Friday

As part of its third round of evacuations, Turkey intends to remove some sick or injured Gazan children and youth on Friday, according to a statement made on Thursday by Health Minister Fahrettin Koca.

150 people, primarily cancer patients and their companions, have been transferred from Gaza to Turkey so far so they can continue their treatment. This week, it has also evacuated over a hundred Turks, Turkish Cypriots, and their families.

Koca added that three sick Gazan youngsters had been transferred to Turkey on Thursday while speaking at the Esenboga airport in Ankara. The two-year-old boy and the two girls, ages nine and ten, would receive treatment in Turkey, he continued.

The third round of evacuations, consisting of a group of 50 people, has been delayed due to issues regarding permissions for their releases, the minister said, but added that those problems were now largely resolved and officials were working to complete the preparations.

“We expect the third evacuation to be tomorrow (Friday) and it will be an evacuation that will largely consist of children and young people,” Koca told reporters.

“There are less cancer patients (in the group), but it will be an evacuation that mostly consists of wounded children and young people,” he said, adding that none of the people in the list of 50 were in critical condition.

    Source:
  • Reuters