The UN said that about half of the population of Sudan, about 20 million people, are in need of urgent humanitarian aid.
The UN Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS) confirmed in a press circular on its Facebook page that the number of internally and externally displaced persons due to the conflict has risen to 3.3 million.
The ongoing battles between the Sudanese Army and the Rapid Support Forces hinder the arrival of humanitarian aid to thousands of civilians stranded in conflict areas in Khartoum, Darfur, and Kordofan.
The two warring parties did not abide by the Declaration of Principles and the truce and cease-fire agreements signed in Jeddah with Saudi-US mediation, which include humanitarian arrangements for delivering aid and protecting civilians and aid workers.
Thousands of Sudanese suffer from catastrophic humanitarian conditions, and over half of the hospitals and medical facilities are out of order in Khartoum following the attacks and clashes.
On Thursday, 16 people were killed and dozens of civilians injured in a drone attack by the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), according to the families of the victims, who described the incident as a “horrific massacre.”
Witnesses told Asharq Al-Awsat that the massacre occurred after citizens gathered to celebrate and salute the army forces after clashes with RSF in the al-Azouzab suburb in Khartoum. They reported that a drone targeted the gathering, and the number of victims is expected to increase.
The Sudanese army stated that the RSF targeted citizens who gathered to greet the forces, killing 14 civilians and wounding 15 civilians.
– Clashes in Khartoum
Khartoum, Omdurman, and Bahri witnessed many bloody clashes, resulting in the killing and wounding of hundreds of citizens due to the exchanged bombardment and artillery shelling between the two warring parties.
On Thursday, air strikes, street battles, and artillery fire shook the major southern city of el-Obeid, witnesses told AFP.
A resident of El-Obeid told the agency that artillery shelling targeted paramilitary bases of the Rapid Support Forces. Army jets were striking paramilitaries responding with anti-aircraft fire, said another El-Obeid resident.
Since its outbreak on April 15, the war between the army commander, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and his former deputy, the RSF commander, Mohammed Hamdan Daglo, killed at least 3,000 people and displaced over 3.3 million.
Burhan appeared Tuesday in rare video footage shortly after an audio recording of Daglo was released.
In the video clip, Burhan is seen in the army headquarters as he greets the army top brass.
The headquarters of the army’s general command in central Khartoum is still witnessing clashes, and Al-Burhan has stayed in this headquarters since the start of the war.
Neither side has confirmed complete control of the headquarters yet.
Daglo was last seen in a short video clip the paramilitaries shot in the early days of the conflict. Since then, he has only released audio recordings, and it is widely rumored that he was killed or even injured in the battles.
Meanwhile, relief organizations and other international groups confirmed the occurrence of atrocities in Darfur, including sexual violence.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) has opened a new probe into alleged war crimes in Darfur, its chief prosecutor Karim Khan said last week.
He warned against “allowing history to repeat itself” in Darfur, where 300,000 people were killed in a conflict in 2003.