Hans Grundberg, the UN special envoy for Yemen, echoed Secretary-General Ban Ki-condemnation moon’s of recent Houthi strikes on the UAE on Tuesday.
Grundberg said during a Security Council meeting that “it should be evident to everyone exactly how high the stakes have gotten” following Houthi strikes on the UAE last month, including a drone attack in Abu Dhabi that killed three people.
“The Secretary-General has condemned these attacks,” he said, “and I echo that condemnation.”
Houthi strikes on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, he continued, “show how this conflict risks spiraling out of control unless real efforts are taken quickly by Yemeni parties, the region, and the international community to stop this crisis.”
The Yemen envoy went on to say that stopping the war in Yemen is a choice that can be made despite obstacles.
“There is a way out of this war; continuing the war is a decision, and ending it is a choice,” he remarked.
“We all know that ending it will be difficult, but I am confident that it can be done,” he continued.
If Yemenis are not to be left suffering until the warring sides tire of it, he said, conversation and compromise are essential.
“Our best path ahead is a political process under UN auspices,” he said.
Grundberg said he’s working on a framework that will outline his strategy for achieving an inclusive political settlement, which will include the development of a multi-track approach.
“Through this procedure, the interests of the warring parties can be addressed within the context of a broader Yemeni agenda along the three tracks of political, security, and economic issues,” he explained.