SAWT BEIRUT INTERNATIONAL

| 21 April 2024, Sunday |

UNICEF: Over 1 million children displaced by Sudan conflict

More than one million children have now been displaced by two months of conflict in Sudan, the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) said in its latest report on Sudan.

“Across Sudan, UNICEF has received credible reports that over 330 children have been killed, and over 1,900 have been injured, as of 6 June and many more are at grave risk,” the report revealed, noting that access is constrained for the most basic lifesaving services, “leaving over 13 million children in dire need of humanitarian assistance – water, health, nutrition and protection. ”

“The future of Sudan is at stake, and we cannot accept the continued loss and suffering of its children,” said Mandeep O’Brien, UNICEF Representative in Sudan.

“Children are trapped in an unrelenting nightmare, bearing the heaviest burden of a violent crisis they had no hand in creating – caught in the crossfire, injured, abused, displaced and subjected to disease and malnutrition.”

The report stressed that the situation in Darfur is especially “concerning”.

It also indicated that that communication blackout and access constraints continue, saying this means verified information on the situation is limited.

“An estimated 5.6 million children live in the five Darfur states, with almost 270,000 of them estimated to have been newly displaced by the fighting so far.”

UNICEF urged all parties involved in the conflict to prioritize the safety and well-being of children, and ensure their protection.

It also called for $838 million to address the crisis, an increase of $253 million since the current conflict began in April 2023.

“Without immediate funding commitments, the ongoing response across Sudan, including in the Darfurs, will not be able to continue and scale up to meet the urgent lifesaving needs.”

    Source:
  • Asharq Al-Awsat