Venezuela’s opposition elections commission on Monday said it would move forward with its Oct. 22 date to elect a candidate to stand against the ruling party in next year’s presidential vote, after the national electoral council requested a delay.
The National Electoral Council (CNE) last month responded to a June request to assist the opposition’s primary elections, saying it could provide assistance such as voting centers and machines if he date was postponed to Nov. 19 to confirm details.
A majority of 13 opposition candidates rejected this request.
“We could not interrupt the organization of the primary vote,” the commission said in the statement on Monday, asking that electoral authorities take into account the slow response from the CNE, which underwent an internal reorganization after some members resigned in June.
The commission – made up of eight lawyers and experts – said it had asked for up to 400 additional voting centers as well as security at the centers and help facilitating visas for electoral experts and foreign journalists covering the process.