One day ahead of the opening ceremony of the fifth event, a massive fire broke out in the main hall of the El Gouna Film Festival site in Egypt yesterday, local media reported.
The Youm7 newspaper said the fire was caused by an “electrical short circuit” noting that some 14 people suffered asphyxiation after inhaling smoke.
Egyptian billionaire and festival co-founder, Naguib Sawiris, said on Twitter that the Festival main hall is intact, and the festival will open on time.
The opening ceremony is due to be held today and the winners will be announced and awarded on 22 October.
مركز الاحتفال لمهرجان الجونة سليم و سيتم افتتاح المهرجان في موعده ! pic.twitter.com/n1TnVFNtd2
— Naguib Sawiris (@NaguibSawiris) October 13, 2021