SAWT BEIRUT INTERNATIONAL

| 8 December 2021, Wednesday |

Saudi-led alliance attacks sites in Yemen’s Sanaa

On Tuesday, the Saudi-led military alliance in Yemen said it had destroyed a ballistic missile launch site in the Houthi-controlled capital Sanaa, where residents reported large explosions.

Al Masirah TV, a broadcaster run by the Iran-aligned Houthi movement, reported three air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition on a residential district of the capital.

There were no reports of casualties at the time.

The coalition said in a statement posted on Twitter by the Saudi state news agency (SPA) that air strikes had been carried out against “legitimate military targets” in Sanaa.

It described the ballistic missile sites as “secret”, and said one of “high-value” had been destroyed.

The coalition said it had taken measures to spare civilians any collateral damage, adding that “the secret positions” had used hospitals, organizations and civilians as human shields.

The coalition asked civilians not to gather around or approach the positions that had been attacked.

Residents told Reuters the explosions had rocked the northern neighborhoods of the city, and said two military sites had been attacked.

The Houthis have repeatedly launched cross-border attacks on Saudi Arabia using drones and missiles since the Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015 after the movement ousted the Saudi-backed government from the capital.

The Houthi movement said on Saturday it had fired 14 drones at several Saudi cities, including at Saudi Aramco facilities in Jeddah.

The conflict is widely seen as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Houthis are pressing an offensive in Marib, the internationally recognized government’s last northern stronghold, as well as in other areas in Yemen.