Turkey on Sunday pushed new military reinforcements to areas falling under its control and regions run by forces loyal to it in the Syrian province of Aleppo.
The new military convoy of Turkish forces entered Syria via Bab Al-Salamah border crossing between Azaz city in northern Aleppo and Turkey.
The convoy, which included military equipment, ammunition and personnel carriers, headed to a Turkish military base from where the reinforcements will be deployed to other Turkish-held bases in the province.
Ankara had already announced plans to move against Kurdish forces in the areas of Manbij and Tal Rifaat in northern Syria.
In July, the Turkish army sent around 15 military convoys to the countryside of Aleppo, including armored vehicles, ammunition and tanks.
Since May, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been warning about plans to launch a new military operation in Syria against the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) to link up two areas already under Turkish control in the northern region near Turkey’s border.
Erdogan said the aim is to create a 30-km safe zone along the Turkish border with Syria.
His threats came despite the objection of the US, Russia, Iran and the Syrian regime, in addition to several EU countries.
Meanwhile, Turkish forces and their proxies fired during the weekend over 14 mortar and heavy artillery shells on Qart Wayran village in western Manbij countryside, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said, adding that no casualties have been reported.
The attack came in response to shelling on “Euphrates Shield” areas, which left two casualties from the Turkish-backed factions.
The Observatory said two members of the Turkish-backed “Jaish Al-Ahfad” faction were killed and two others were injured when missiles hit Sabwiran village in Qabasin town’s countryside in eastern Aleppo.
It added that the missiles were fired from areas of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) military formations, and areas of regime forces in Aleppo countryside.